Portland Police Bureau
Emergency Messages as of 7:03 am, Sat. Jul. 13
No information currently posted.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Portland Police Bureau.
Primary email address for a new account:


Manage my existing Subscription

News Release
Riot Declared in Downtown Portland July 26-Arrests Made (Photo) - Update on arrests - 07/26/20

In the early morning of July 26, 2020 Portland Police made arrests downtown while dispersing crowds. The following is a list of their names and charges. Each was booked into the Multnomah County booking facility. A city of residence is listed next to names when arresting officers were able to determine one.

29 year old Dana Parks, Portland: Resist Arrest, Attempt Assault of Public Safety Officer x 2, Escape III x 2, Interfering with a Peace Officer, Disorderly Conduct II

29 year old Rhys Alan Wiski-Sutton: Interfering with a Peace Officer, Disorderly Conduct II, Resist Arrest

29 year old Christopher J. Briggs: Interfering with a Peace Officer, Disorderly Conduct II

28 year old Mackenzie D. Kirsch: Interfering with a Peace Officer

24 year old Ahnauna Andrews, Portland: Interfering with a Peace Officer

32 year old Zachary A. Trudo, Hillsboro: Interfering with a Peace Officer, Assault IV, Resist Arrest, Attempt Escape III


Updated with photos: Several photos are from damage sustained to the Nike business on MLK Boulevard when the crowd marched past. There is also an image of graffiti to Portland Fire & Rescue Fire Station 1. The other images are of one of PPB's RRT teams when they were dispersing the riot; several members of the crowd used shields, umbrellas and lights directed at officers.



On July 25, 2020 several large groups gathered around Portland, taking up city streets and demonstrating outside buildings.

A group walked through streets near NE 122nd Avenue and NE Halsey Street.

A group of about two hundred gathered outside the Portland Police Association offices in north Portland. They blocked N. Lombard Avenue for about an hour. They used cars and trucks to block adjacent streets. People from this group pulled sections of a chain link fence across N. Lombard Ave. Portland Police gave public address announcements to clear the street to allow traffic through. Because of the fencing and crowd blocking the street, Portland Fire & Rescue had to reroute emergency vehicles responding to a residential fire nearby. Slowly this group broke up and walked out of the neighborhood.

A group met in Alberta Park and walked to North Precinct where they stood outside and chanted. The group walked from there to the Federal Courthouse, taking up streets as they went.
A group met at the Salmon Springs Fountain in Waterfront Park and eventually walked to the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse.

The largest group gathered on SW 3rd Avenue outside the federal courthouse and the Justice Center and the nearby parks and streets. There were thousands gathered. Throughout the night some people in this crowd spent their time shaking the fence around the building, throwing rocks, bottles, and assorted debris over the fence, shining lasers through the fence, firing explosive fireworks into the area blocked by the fence, and using power tools to try to cut through the fence. People wore gas masks, carried shields, hockey sticks, leaf blowers, flags, and umbrellas specifically to thwart police in crowd dispersal or attempt to conceal criminal acts. People against the fence sprayed unknown liquids through it toward the courthouse. People tied rope to the fence and attempted to pull it down.

This activity continued as thousands remained outside along SW 3rd Avenue for hours.
At about 1:03 a.m. people in the crowd attached a chain to the fence and with many people pulling managed to pull a section of it down. People began lighting fires along SW 3rd Avenue. People climbed over the fence to get close to the federal courthouse. People continued to launch mortar style fireworks at ground level that were exploding near others.

At about 1:20 a.m. dozens of people in the crowd maintained this level of violence and tumultuous conduct and were either intentionally or recklessly creating a grave risk of public alarm. Portland Police gave public address announcements directing everyone to leave to the west, closing the area bounded by SW 1st Avenue and SW Broadway to SW Columbia Street to SW Harvey Milk Street. Portland Police declared a riot based on the conduct of people in the crowd and gave repeated warnings that anyone who remained may be subject to arrest or citation and may be subject to force including impact weapons or tear gas.

Portland Police began dispersing the crowd, extended the area closed west to Interstate 405 and north to W. Burnside Street, and gave public address announcements directing people to leave the area. Portland Police spent almost an hour moving people out of the area. During that time people threw bottles, paint balloons, and other debris at Portland Police officers. People shot mortar style fireworks as Portland Police officers from ground level and from parking garages. Portland Police used munitions, including CS gas.

Portland Police disengaged from the crowds at about 2:25 a.m. to see if people would keep leaving the closed area. Over the next hour, the groups mostly dissipated. Several arrests were made during the dispersal. This release will be updated as information becomes available.


View more news releases from Portland Police Bureau.