Washington Co. District Attorney's Office
Emergency Messages as of 3:09 pm, Sat. Sep. 18
No information currently posted.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Washington Co. District Attorney's Office.
Primary email address for a new account:

  


Manage my existing Subscription

News Releases
Miranda_Angel_Santana.png
Miranda_Angel_Santana.png
Angel Santana Miranda Convicted on Multiple Charges in Prolific Child Pornography Case (Photo) - 09/17/21

HILLSBORO, Ore.- On September 15, 2021, Angel Santana Miranda, age 20, pleaded guilty to 12 counts of first-degree encouraging child sexual abuse and two counts of luring a minor. Deputy District Attorney Rayney Meisel prosecuted the case before Washington County Circuit Court Judge Eric Butterfield. 

In 2019, law enforcement tracked child pornography being downloaded from the defendant’s residence in Forest Grove, Oregon. After obtaining the necessary warrants, experts with the Washington County Digital Forensics Laboratory examined Mr. Miranda’s digital devices and discovered a cache of child sexual abuse and exploitation materials. Mr. Miranda had more than 10,000 images and videos of children ranging in age from infant to teens. Additionally, the defendant had an extensive chat history between himself and a 14-year-old girl living out of state. They exchanged nude images and videos and described sexually and violently explicit fantasies involving children and infants. Investigators were able to identify and contact two of the victims depicted in photos and videos. 

The defendant admitted to police that he downloaded the files over the course of five years. Law enforcement were able to identify and contact two of the victims depicted in the videos and photos on his devices. 

“Unfortunately, our office prosecutes a great deal of cases involving individuals who are downloading and sharing graphic child sexual abuse material,” said DDA Meisel. “What set this case apart, however, was the extremely graphic role-play fantasies he was engaging in with a child, about her and other children, paired with the fact that he had researched flights and travel logistics to get to the child’s out-of-state home.”

In July of 2020, while the defendant already knew he was under investigation, law enforcement received several cyber tips alerting them to additional concerning online behavior between Mr. Miranda and a young girl. Investigators confirmed that Mr. Miranda was again interacting inappropriately with the teen.

The Washington County District Attorney’s Office wishes to commend the Forest Grove Police Department for their work on this case. This office also acknowledges the Washington County Digital Forensic Laboratory for its work in securing vital digital evidence. 

This office also urges parents to monitor the online activity of their children. For additional information on digital threats facing children and how to guard against them, please visit our website

A sentencing hearing is scheduled for October 5, 2021.  

MISURACA_AIRIAN.png
MISURACA_AIRIAN.png
Airian Jovan Misuraca Sentenced to Life in Prison in Child Sexual Abuse Case (Photo) - 09/10/21

HILLSBORO, Ore.- On September 8, 2021, Washington County Circuit Court Judge Erik Buchér sentenced 44-year-old Airian Jovan Misuraca to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Misuraca had been convicted by a jury in July of six counts of first-degree rape, nine counts of first-degree sodomy and four counts of first-degree sexual abuse. Senior Deputy District Attorney Allison Brown prosecuted the case against Mr. Misuraca. 

“The defendant was unanimously convicted on every count. The jury was clearly impacted by the horrific abuse the child victim had to endure,” said SDDA Brown.  

The defendant was facing a life sentence because he had been previously convicted twice of felony sex crimes against children. SDDA Brown urged the court to impose a true-life sentence based on the severity of the crimes, the defendant’s lengthy criminal history, and his lack of any remorse for his actions.  

Judge Buchér ultimately agreed with these arguments. When announcing the defendant would serve a life sentence without the possibility of parole, he stated his intent is to ensure the defendant is incarcerated for the rest of his life to protect the community. Judge Buchér also indicated there were no mitigating factors to justify a lesser sentence. 

The victim’s family was present in the courtroom and urged the Judge to impose a true-life sentence. Also attending the hearing was another person who reported being raped by the defendant many years ago, when she was 15. That case had been investigated in Portland, but was not prosecuted because ultimately the victim could not be located for prosecution.

“Today, this victim was finally able to get closure to this sexual assault from years ago. She, like many victims, was reluctant to testify at the time, because she was worried she would not be believed. She showed extreme bravery facing the defendant in court today,” said SDDA Brown.

Mr. Misuraca’s current case involved multiple incidents spanning a period of several years. In February of 2019, the victim made a disclosure of abuse to a family member who immediately alerted law enforcement. Tigard police            began investigating the allegations. The victim was also seen at CARES Northwest where she gave additional details of the abuse.

The Washington County District Attorney’s Office wishes to acknowledge the bravery of the victim in reporting these crimes and for participating in the defendant’s trial. This office also thanks Tigard police, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, CARES Northwest, the Oregon Department of Human Services and the Oregon State Police Forensic Lab for their work on this case.

Mr. Misuraca will be transferred to the Oregon Department of Corrections to begin serving his sentence. 
 

Washington County Leaders to Create State's First and Only Co-Located Child Abuse and Domestic Violence Center - 09/02/21

HILLSBORO, Ore.- For the past two years, Washington County District Attorney Kevin Barton has led a coalition of community members and local leaders in an effort to strengthen resources for victims of family violence.  Their goal, to co-locate child abuse and domestic violence services in a single site in Washington County, is one step closer to reality after the legislature awarded the effort $6.65 million to help purchase and renovate a building.

The funding, comprised of $6.25 million in Oregon lottery bond funds and $400,000 in American Rescue Act Plan Act (ARPA) funds, will be used to develop a new, state-of-the-art facility called the “Family Peace Center of Washington County.”

The Family Peace Center will become Oregon’s first and only facility to offer both child abuse and domestic violence services under one roof. Currently, those services are available, but are in separate locations, including locations outside of the county in Portland. 

The Family Justice Center of Washington County (FJC), which currently serves domestic violence victims in Washington County, will continue doing so under the new name “Family Peace Center” once the new facility is up and running and will contain a number of nonprofit organizations.

One of these organizations is CARES Northwest, Oregon’s oldest and largest child advocacy center. CARES Northwest is currently located in Portland with a small, satellite location in Washington County. It hopes to be able to provide services to 100% of Washington County’s children and families at the new Family Peace Center.

Another such organization is the Domestic Violence Resource Center (DVRC). A crisis services provider with the goal of educating, supporting and empowering survivors of domestic violence and their children, DVRC currently operates in the Family Justice Center and will continue to operate in the new Family Peace Center.

Together, these organizations in collaboration with multiple other nonprofits and governmental organizations, will provide trauma-informed services for victims and survivors of all forms of family violence.

“Providing these essential services for the most vulnerable members of our community in an easy-to-access location makes good sense,” said District Attorney Kevin Barton. “I see this effort as a form of criminal justice reform that has the potential to produce a generational change. Put simply, the more resources we provide to young people who have experienced trauma, the less we will need to rely on our criminal justice system when they become adults.”

The FJC, which is a 501(c)(3) organization, opened its doors in March of 2018. Current board president, Judy Willey, and Lee Dobrowolski, the former chief of police for the Hillsboro Police Department, helped bring the center to Washington County. Willey says it is essential that members of every community have access to these services all in one, safe location. 

"The Family Justice Center, along with a number of community leaders that make up the "Washington County workgroup," have been focused on the impact of trauma on children and families. Early intervention is key and through collaboration and partnership with Washington County agencies, leaders, professionals, educators and our diverse community members, we can break the cycle of child abuse and domestic violence and we can save lives. Our strong support from our elected officials, cities and businesses throughout Washington County, enables agencies to come together. The new Family Peace Center will provide families who experience any type of violence within the home the services they need all under one roof,” Willey said.  

Washington County Commissioner Jerry Willey was also instrumental in securing support for the effort. Commissioner Willey says it was the right thing to do for those who call Washington County home.

“This collaboration of service providers in combating domestic violence and helping innocent children traumatized by child abuse will be a significant benefit to families of Washington County,” Commissioner Willey said. 

The coalition behind this effort is actively searching for suitable locations for the Family Peace Center. District Attorney Barton wishes to thank those who helped make this possible, especially including overwhelming support from Washington County’s elected and community leaders. Click here to see the letters of support for this effort.

Attached Media Files: Family_Peace_Center_PR.pdf
Lugo_Justin_Nathaniel.jpg
Lugo_Justin_Nathaniel.jpg
Justin Nathaniel Lugo Sentenced to Life in Prison in Sexual Abuse Case (Photo) - 08/24/21

HILLSBORO, Ore.- On August 24, 2021, Washington County Circuit Judge Janelle Wipper sentenced previously convicted sex offender Justin Nathaniel Lugo to life in prison without the possibility of parole. On May 4, 2021, Judge Wipper convicted the defendant of first-degree sexual abuse and third-degree sexual abuse in a bench trial. According to the Oregon criminal code, a defendant is subject to a presumptive life sentence without the possibility of parole on their third sentencing for a felony sex crime. The defendant was also convicted of assaulting a public safety officer while in custody for this case and of fourth-degree assault of a separate victim. Senior Deputy District Attorney Allison Brown prosecuted Mr. Lugo. 

The defendant is a convicted sex offender and has multiple felony sex crime convictions involving minor victims dating back to 2006. On October 26, 2019, he sexually abused a female victim. The victim was asleep when the defendant entered her room and touched her inappropriately. She awoke to the conduct and told him to stop. The defendant claimed to be looking for a phone charger but later admitted to investigators that he did touch the victim as she slept. 

On November 16, 2019, shortly after his arrest on the sex abuse case, the defendant assaulted the victim’s boyfriend after the man confronted him for his sexual abuse of the original victim. 

On January 9, 2020, while in custody at the Washington County Jail, the defendant assaulted a jail deputy. He broke the deputy’s nose and lacerated his lip. He later admitted to the attack. 

The Washington County District Attorney’s Office wishes to commend the female victim for reporting this abuse and for her participation in the defendant’s trial. This office also thanks the Washington County Sheriff’s Office for their work on this case. 

Mr. Lugo will be transferred to the Oregon Department of Corrections to begin serving his sentence.