Union Gospel Mission
Emergency Messages as of 8:18 pm, Tue. Mar. 31
No information currently posted.
News Release
Search + Rescue
Search + Rescue
Living on the Streets, Basic Needs are Still Number 1 Priority (Photo) - 03/26/20

For Immediate Release                                                Contact: Courtney Dodds

March 26, 2020                                                            971-275-2334

Living on the Streets, Basic Needs are Still Number 1 Priority

Portland, Ore., - Union Gospel Mission’s mobile outreach, Search + Rescue, is providing basic life essentials to those living in tents and encampments spread throughout the metro area.

With the emergence of COVID-19, the visits now include education about the virus and its spread and checking to make sure people get medical care if needed.

Search + Rescue goes out five days a week making sure those experiencing homelessness have what they need to survive, building relationships, and helping people find the resources they need to move out of homelessness.

Only about 25% of the homeless population lives in old town, Search + Rescue was developed to serve the remaining 75%. Many people do seem to be aware of COVID-19, but their main concerns are still getting enough food and staying safe day to day.

The Mission urgently needs bottled water, gloves, blankets, packaged snacks and hand sanitizer. Donations can be dropped off at 3 NW Third Avenue Portland. Financial gifts can be made by calling 503-274-4483  or by going online to www.ugmportland.org/donate.

About Union Gospel Mission: Union Gospel Mission’s purpose is “Feeding the hungry, restoring the addict and loving our neighbor.” Union Gospel Mission has been serving Portland since 1927. Union Gospel Mission provides meals and care for the homeless and operates LifeChange -- a transformative recovery program for men, women and children. Contact Union Gospel Mission at 503-274-4483, ugmportland.org or on social media @ugmpdx

# # #

 

View more news releases from Union Gospel Mission.