Multnomah Co. District Attorney's Office
Emergency Messages as of 10:49 am, Tue. Jul. 16
No information currently posted. Operating as usual.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Multnomah Co. District Attorney's Office. Please use any browser other than Internet Explorer.
Primary email address for a new account:

Emergency Alerts News Releases  


Manage my existing Subscription

News Release
Ricardo Sanchez-Garcia receives 10 year prison sentence for sexually abusing two children  - 04/18/19

APRIL 18, 2019

Ricardo Sanchez-Garcia receives 10 year prison sentence for sexually abusing two children 

Today, Multnomah County District Attorney Rod Underhill announced that 56-year-old Ricardo Sanchez-Garcia received a 10 year prison sentence after he pleaded guilty to sexually abusing two young girls. 

This investigation started on July 9, 2018 when Portland Police were dispatched to the Safeway grocery store located in the 6900 block of Northeast Sandy Boulevard after receiving a 9-1-1 call from an employee who reported that a man, later identified as Sanchez-Garcia, had sexually abused a 10 year old girl inside the store. 

While police were investigating the initial incident, they received a similar report of sexual abuse involving a six year old girl at the Goodwill store located in the 5900 block of Northeast 122nd Avenue.

Child abuse detectives obtained surveillance video from Goodwill that showed Sanchez-Garcia following the victim in a "predatory fashion." The video from Goodwill also showed Sanchez-Garcia masturbating through his clothing. 

In both incidents, law enforcement learned that Sanchez-Garcia had quickly, and intentionally, touched the girls’ genital area over their clothing. 

“Ricardo Sanchez-Garcia admitted that he would come up with ‘excuses’ to find himself in situations so he could sexually abuse these children,” said Multnomah County Senior Deputy District Attorney Amity Girt, who prosecuted this case.

When the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office initially reviewed the criminal case of Sanchez-Garcia on July 10, 2018, this office learned of a previously reported 2006 sexual abuse investigation involving Sanchez-Garcia. In that case, Sanchez-Garcia sexually abused a child who was known to him. In 2018, law enforcement contacted the victim who recalled the sexual abuse and wished to participate in renewed investigation. 

On April 18, 2019, Sanchez-Garcia pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual abuse in the first degree. One of the counts is for the victim who was sexually abused inside the Safeway grocery store. The second count is for the victim who was sexually abused in 2006. 

“Ricardo Sanchez-Garcia’s conduct was designed to be innocuous and inconspicuous so that his victims may not have initially realized that they were being sexually abused intentionally despite that abuse occurring during the middle of the day or an otherwise busy location,” said SDDA Girt. 

In court on April 18, 2019, the family of the victim sexually abused at Safeway and the victim from the 2006 sexual abuse provided impact statements to the court. 

The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office was in regular contact with the victims of Sanchez-Garcia during the pendency of this case, and each victim and/or their family was consulted with prior to the pretrial resolution. 

The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office recognizes the Portland Police Bureau for their dedicated efforts on this case. 


#MCDA#


Contact: Brent Weisberg, Communications Director 
Phone: 503.988.6567 
Email: Brent.Weisberg@mcda.us

View more news releases from Multnomah Co. District Attorney's Office.