Hillsboro Fire and Rescue
Emergency Messages as of 9:47 pm, Wed. Oct. 21
No information currently posted.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Hillsboro Fire and Rescue.
Primary email address for a new account:

  
And/or follow our FlashAlerts via Twitter

About FlashAlert on Twitter:

FlashAlert utilizes the free service Twitter to distribute emergency text messages. While you are welcome to register your cell phone text message address directly into the FlashAlert system, we recommend that you simply "follow" the FlashAlert account for Hillsboro Fire and Rescue by clicking on the link below and logging in to (or creating) your free Twitter account. Twitter sends messages out exceptionally fast thanks to arrangements they have made with the cell phone companies.

Click here to add Hillsboro Fire and Rescue to your Twitter account or create one.

@HillsboroFire

Hide this Message


Manage my existing Subscription

News Release
East Main fire damage
East Main fire damage
Accidental kitchen fire causes significant damage (Photo) - 10/15/20

At 9:07 am this morning, an alert maintenance employee noticed black smoke and heard smoke alarms alerting from an apartment unit in the 5300-block of East Main Street in Hillsboro. The employee forced the rear door of the unit and attempted to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher. He was able to rescue two dogs from inside the unit. Additional staff assisted by alerting neighbors and evacuating the building.

A first alarm response was activated by 911 dispatchers. Engine 3 arrived within five minutes and made entry through the front door to attack the fire. Engine 1 and Truck 5 arrived moments later to assist with extinguishment and search the home to ensure all occupants evacuated safely. No humans were home at the time of the fire only the two dogs that were rescued. The fire was contained in the kitchen with extension to the cabinetry and walls.  

One person was treated on scene for injuries related to smoke exposure and transported to a local hospital for evaluation. No other injuries were reported. Two adults and two dogs were displaced by the fire.

A Hillsboro Fire Investigator responded to the incident and determined that the fire was accidentally caused. The source of the fire was a pot lid left on a burner of the stove.

Hillsboro Fire & Rescue was assisted by Hillsboro Police and Metro West Ambulance.

Hillsboro Fire and Rescue reminds you that cooking is the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen.

  • Keep a close eye on what you’re cooking; never leave cooking unattended
  • Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — at least three feet away from your stovetop.
  • Ensure you have working smoke alarms in your home and test them at least once a month

-###-

View more news releases from Hillsboro Fire and Rescue.