Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue
Emergency Messages as of 7:56 am, Thu. Aug. 13
No information currently posted.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue .
Primary email address for a new account:

  


Manage my existing Subscription

News Release
Gas6.jpg
Gas6.jpg
Natural Gas Leak causes home evacuations (Photo) - 07/28/20

Kelso, WA – Firefighters from Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue and Cascade Natural Gas employees responded to a Natural Gas leak just before 2:30 in the 300 block of Hawthorne St.  A resident in the area accidentally struck the top of an older capped gas line pipe, hidden under briar bushes, with a lawnmower.  The resident heard a hissing sound and smelled Natural Gas; he left the area and called 911.  Chief Officers from Cowlitz 2 ordered homes in the area downwind from the leak to be evacuated; Cowlitz County deputies and firefighters evacuated 17 people from nearby homes.  Cascade Natural Gas was also notified and responded with multiple crews.  The crews later clamped off an underground gas line on the other side of the street to stop the leak from a safe area.  No injuries were reported. 

Always leave the area and call 911 anytime the smell of rotten eggs is apparent when Natural Gas is being used.  Other signs of a Natural Gas leak include hissing sounds, dead or dying plants, and if you or others in the home experience dizziness or headaches.  More information on Natural Gas can be found at: https://www.cngc.com/in-the-community/about-us/

 

 

Attached Media Files: Gas6.jpg , Gas5.jpg , Gas4.jpg , Gas3.jpg , Gas2.jpg , Gas1.jpg
View more news releases from Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue .