City of Seaside
Emergency Messages as of 10:59 am, Fri. Feb. 21
No information currently posted. Operating as usual.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from City of Seaside.
Primary email address for a new account:

Emergency Alerts News Releases  
And/or follow our FlashAlerts via Twitter

About FlashAlert on Twitter:

FlashAlert utilizes the free service Twitter to distribute emergency text messages. While you are welcome to register your cell phone text message address directly into the FlashAlert system, we recommend that you simply "follow" the FlashAlert account for City of Seaside by clicking on the link below and logging in to (or creating) your free Twitter account. Twitter sends messages out exceptionally fast thanks to arrangements they have made with the cell phone companies.

Click here to add City of Seaside to your Twitter account or create one.

Hide this Message

Manage my existing Subscription

News Release
Suspicious Device Leads to Road Closure in Seaside (Photo) - 09/05/19

Seaside, Ore. – September 5, 2019 – On Thursday September 5, 2019 at approximately 10:53 a.m., the Seaside Police Department responded to the area of Avenue A and S. Downing to meet with a person who had possession of a suspicious item they had discovered on the Seaside beach. The item was plastic tubing that had been capped on both ends with duct tape and the reporting person believed it to be some kind of incendiary device.  After finding the item on the beach, the individual called the police department to turn it over for disposal.  

When an officer arrived on scene and observed the item, it was placed on the ground by the person who found it, the area was secured, and the Oregon State Police Explosives Unit was requested. Additional precautions were then taken to protect the public, first responders and area property by closing down Avenue A. OSP’s Explosives Unit arrived on scene a short time later and took possession of the item for destruction at an undisclosed location.  

At this time, Seaside Police understands that this was a viable device filled with black powder substitute. The fuse appears to have burned out before initiating the powder. Avenue A, between S. Columbia and S. Edgewood street was closed for approximately two hours while authorities waited for OSP’s Explosives Unit to arrive on scene. Seaside Police was supported by Seaside Fire and Rescue and Seaside Public Works staff during the duration of the closure.

**end of release**

View more news releases from City of Seaside.