Clackamas Co. Sheriff's Office
Emergency Messages as of 7:16 pm, Mon. Aug. 19
No information currently posted. Operating as usual.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Clackamas Co. Sheriff's Office. Please use any browser other than Internet Explorer.
Primary email address for a new account:

Emergency Alerts News Releases  

Manage my existing Subscription

News Release
UPDATE -- CORRECTED CASE #: Deputies help save baby at mall using CPR; parents invite them to hospital for photo 'of the guys who saved her life' (Photo) - 10/09/18

[updated with corrected case number]

Please reference CCSO Case # 18-026884


On Sunday, Oct. 7, Clackamas County Sheriff's Office deputies visited the infant they'd saved a week earlier using CPR at  Clackamas Town Center. Photos and surveillance video are attached, and interview opportunities are available for news outlets.

Shortly after noon on Sunday, Sept. 30, deputies received an urgent call from Clackamas Town Center. A week-old infant, Audrey Harmon, had stopped breathing in the portrait studio at JCPenney.

Deputies Zacharkiw (pronounced "za-KARK-ee"), Olson, and Russell responded, running through the mall to the portrait studio. They found Baby Audrey pale and unresponsive. Authorities believe she had choked on fluids. The parents were distraught. The mother had called 911 while the father and a number of Good Samaritans made the first attempts at infant CPR and assisted the parents.

Deputies immediately went to work.

Deputy Zacharkiw performed chest compressions while Deputy Olson checked the infant's airway with his finger. Deputy Russell stabilized Audrey’s head, keeping her neck arched and airway open. Deputy Zacharkiw turned Audrey over on her stomach and performed a burping chest pat to remove fluid from the baby's airway. After he flipped Audrey back over, Deputy Russell used a Bulbous nose sucker to extract fluid from the infant's nose.

Clackamas Fire District #1 paramedics arrived about two minutes later and took over CPR.

Baby Audrey was transported to OHSU. At this writing she remains in intensive care, but her condition is steadily improving.

On Oct. 7, Audrey's parents, Kaylob Harmon and Jessie Siefer, invited Deputies Zacharkiw, Olson, and Russell to visit Audrey at OHSU and take a group photo.

"Kaylob told us he wanted a picture to show Audrey one day of the guys who saved her life," reported Deputy Zacharkiw. "It was unbelievably heartwarming to be invited back, and amazing to see how far she has progressed since last Sunday. Shortly after we left, Kaylob texted me a few more pictures, excited that the EEG leads had been removed from Audrey’s head."

Photos from the Sunday OHSU visit are attached. Incident video is here:


To set up interviews with Audrey's parents or the involved deputies, please contact PIO Sgt. Brian Jensen.


View more news releases from Clackamas Co. Sheriff's Office.