Clark Co. WA Communications
Emergency Messages as of 9:04 am, Thu. Jul. 9
No information currently posted.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Clark Co. WA Communications.
Primary email address for a new account:

  


Manage my existing Subscription

News Release
Public Health issues warning for Round Lake due to elevated toxin levels - 06/25/20

Vancouver, Wash. – Clark County Public Health has upgraded its advisory at Round Lake in Camas after test results revealed elevated levels of cyanotoxins in the water. Test results continue to show elevated levels of toxins in the water at Lacamas Lake, so the warning advisory at that lake will remain in place. Public Health is advising people to avoid direct contact with all water in both Lacamas and Round Lake.

Results from water samples taken from Lacamas and Round lakes on Monday revealed cyanotoxins above the threshold levels recommended by the Washington Department of Health. The caution signs at Round Lake are being replaced with warning signs.

Cyanotoxins can be harmful to people, especially young children, and deadly for small pets that drink the water. Health officials recommend:

  • No swimming, water skiing, paddle boarding, kayaking or canoeing.
  • No drinking lake water.
  • No water contact for animals.
  • Cleaning fish well and discarding organs.
  • Avoiding areas of scum when using motorized boats.

Public Health will continue to monitor Lacamas and Round lakes and, as long as blooms are present, take weekly water samples to test toxin levels. Signs will be updated as conditions change.

Heritage Park and Lacamas Regional Park restrooms and shelters are currently open. Water in park restrooms and drinking fountains is not affected by lake water and remains safe to drink. Heritage Trail and walking paths remain open for use as long as physical distancing is maintained.

Blue-green algae can pose a significant health risk if the cyanobacteria or toxins are ingested, inhaled or come into contact with skin. Inhaled bacteria or toxins could cause wheezing, coughing, chest tightness and shortness of breath. Skin contact could lead to rash, itching, blisters and eye irritation.

If water with cyanotoxins is accidentally swallowed, symptoms could include abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, numbness of the lips, tingling in fingers and toes, and dizziness.

Additional information about blue-green algae and current advisories are posted on the Public Health public beach website. To report algae blooms in other bodies of water, visit the Public Health website.

View more news releases from Clark Co. WA Communications.