Bend Fire & Rescue
Emergency Messages as of 5:41 pm, Mon. Nov. 28
No information currently posted.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Bend Fire & Rescue .
Primary email address for a new account:

  
And/or follow our FlashAlerts via Twitter

About FlashAlert on Twitter:

FlashAlert utilizes the free service Twitter to distribute emergency text messages. While you are welcome to register your cell phone text message address directly into the FlashAlert system, we recommend that you simply "follow" the FlashAlert account for Bend Fire & Rescue by clicking on the link below and logging in to (or creating) your free Twitter account. Twitter sends messages out exceptionally fast thanks to arrangements they have made with the cell phone companies.

Click here to add Bend Fire & Rescue to your Twitter account or create one.

@BendFireRescue

Hide this Message


Manage my existing Subscription

News Release
Photo courtesy of Bend Fire & Rescue
Photo courtesy of Bend Fire & Rescue
Structure Fire at 63357 Deschutes Market Rd (Photo) - 09/25/22

At 3:08 am on Sunday, September 25, 2022, Bend Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to a reported structure fire on Deschutes Market Rd.  Initial reports were of flames venting from an attached garage.  First arriving crews found a fully involved 500 square foot log garage with extension to the exterior of the residence, a two story, 2200 square foot log home constructed in 1988.  Two occupants inside the home evacuated with fire department assistance as they were not awakened by the fire.  Smoke alarms in the home did not sound as the fire was on the exterior.  The garage, which was attached to the residence by a covered breezeway, sustained a roof collapse and was a total loss.  The residence sustained minor smoke and water damage to the interior, with some charring to the exterior and minor roof involvement at the eaves on the west side of the home.  Damage is estimated at $150,000 to the structures, and $75,000 to the contents.  This includes two vehicles, a 2014 Toyota Sienna and a 2013 Nissan Leaf that were destroyed, as well as several custom bicycles that were in the garage.  

Upon investigation, it was found that the fire originated in a plastic trash can inside the garage.  The homeowner had spent several hours the previous day staining his deck, and had disposed of the oil soaked rags into the trash can.  

Bend Fire & Rescue would like to remind the community that proper disposal of oily rags is key to preventing a spontaneous combustion fire.  Rags should be placed into a metal can, the can filled with water, and a tight-sealing lid placed on the can.  Contact your local disposal company for their policies regarding disposal of the can and contents. For more home fire safety information, visit our website at https://www.bendoregon.gov/government/departments/fire-rescue/safety-tips-emergency-preparedness/year-round-safety-tips

View more news releases from Bend Fire & Rescue .