Bend Fire & Rescue
Emergency Messages as of 6:36 pm, Sat. Jun. 25
No information currently posted.
News Release
Photo courtesy of Bend Fire & Rescue
Photo courtesy of Bend Fire & Rescue
Structure Fire at 63698 Hunters Circle (Photo) - 06/18/22

At 1:27 pm on Saturday, June 18, Bend Fire & Rescue was dispatched to a reported structure fire at 63698 Hunters Circle.  Crews arrived within 7 minutes and found a small working fire in the garage area, with smoke throughout the home.  Smoke alarms had activated and all occupants had safely evacuated with the exception of 2 cats, who were brought out of the house by firefighters.  The fire was quickly extinguished, with fire damage limited to the garage.  Smoke damage is present throughout the residence, however, and the home is not occupiable at this time.  The residents of the home, three adults and the two cats, are being assisted by the Red Cross.  Damage is estimated at $10,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents.

Upon investigation, it was determined that one of the residents had been welding in the garage shortly before the fire. There was no clearance between where the welding was being performed and a large quantity of piled combustible materials, and sparks from welding smoldered and ignited in the materials.  

Bend Fire & Rescue would like to remind the community that hot work such as welding or grinding can pose a fire hazard, and appropriate precautions must be taken before beginning this type of work.  The work area should be free of combustible materials, and a fire extinguisher should be nearby.  Appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) should be worn.  After welding or grinding, maintain a fire watch in the area for at least 30 minutes.  For more home safety information, please visit our website at https://www.bendoregon.gov/government/departments/fire-rescue/education-safety-tips

View more news releases from Bend Fire & Rescue .