Bend Fire & Rescue
Emergency Messages as of 6:54 pm, Sat. May. 28
No information currently posted.
News Release
Fire sprinkler system stops an apartment fire 5-7-22 (Photo) - 05/07/22

Bend Fire Department responded to a commercial fire alarm at 9:30 Saturday evening at The Reserves at Pilot Butte off of Sedalia Lane on Bend's eastside. When crews arrived the fire alarm was sounding and water coming from one of the attached garages on the back of the building. Smoke was noted in the garage and additional crews were added to the incident to help with the fire. Crews were able to make access into the garage and found that the fire was stopped by one fire sprinkler head. The fire did minor damage to the occupants belongings and the building.  The sprinkler system kept the fire from spreading to the 22 apartments in the building. All building occupants were able to return to their apartments for the night. Bend Fire responded with 2 engines, ladder truck, medic, and battalion chief to the fire. 

Fire appears to have been started by unattended incense or candle too close to combustibles in the garage. The started on a table in the garage with cardboard and craft supplies on it. Bend Fire Department reminds everyone to never leave candles, incense or similar burning items unattended. Candles are one of the top 5 most common type of fire in homes nationally. Be sure to keep candles and incense at least a foot away from anything combustible and always blow out the flame before leaving the room or going to bed. 

View more news releases from Bend Fire & Rescue .