Bend Fire & Rescue
Emergency Messages as of 9:30 pm, Wed. Oct. 21
No information currently posted.
News Release
IMG_20201011_101946.jpg
IMG_20201011_101946.jpg
20221 Mountain View Drive Structure Fire (Photo) - 10/11/20

At 9:30 am this morning, Bend Fire & Rescue was dispatched to a possible structure fire at 20221 Mountain View Drive.  The caller reported that they had a chimney fire the previous evening, and now are seeing smoke in the attic.  The first arriving crews found fire in the attic space and around the chimney, and were able to quickly extinguish the fire.  Extensive overhaul was needed in order to ensure that the fire was completely out.  Damage to the structure is estimated at approximately $20,000.  Thanks to the efforts of the fire crews in protecting the contents of the living room prior to removing the drywall, there were no losses to the contents.  Upon investigation, numerous cracks were found in the masonry on the front side of the chimney, which allowed heat to penetrate through to wall studs and the wood fireplace surround.  

The homeowner reported that he had a chimney fire the previous evening, but had used a garden hose on it and thought it was completely out.  He had removed his smoke alarms from throughout the residence last night as well as they kept sounding.  Bend Fire & Rescue would like to remind the community that smoke alarms should never be disabled.  They provide an essential early warning and give you time to escape in the event of a fire.  In addition, Bend Fire & Rescue asks that if you have a fire, any size fire, please call 911.  As happened in this case, you may think a fire is completely out, but it could be smoldering undetected for an extended period of time and become a much larger and more serious fire.  The fire department has the tools and expertise to ensure the fire is completely out and you and your family are safe.  For more fire safety information, visit www.bendoregon.gov/fire

View more news releases from Bend Fire & Rescue .