Bend Fire & Rescue
Emergency Messages as of 12:39 pm, Mon. Sep. 21
No information currently posted.
News Release
20058_Grand_Teton_9__13__20.jpg
20058_Grand_Teton_9__13__20.jpg
Bend Fire Department house fire on 9-13-20 - 20058 Grand Teton Dr (Photo) - 09/14/20

Bend Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 20058 Grand Teton Dr shortly after 11pm on Sunday 9-13-20. Crews found the garage of the home fully inovlved. The fire was quickly knocked down and controlled before it could spread throughout the house. All 3 occupants were able to escape unharmed. Unfortunately the home was not insured at the time of the fire. Red Cross has been called to assist the occupants. The fire appears to be accidental and the investigation is on going. The home is valued at $250,000 with $100,000 in contents. The garage and attic spaces are extensively damaged and the estimated losses are $100,000 for the sturcuture and $25,000 for contents. 

Bend Fire Department reminds home owners and renters/tenants to make sure you have adequate insurance coverage for your home in the event of a disaster. Check with your agent regularly to enusre coverage is up to date and enough to cover your home and belongings. 

UPDATE 9/14/20 11AM: The cause has been determined to be paper towels heated up in the mircrowave to dry and then put into the garage. The owner attempted to dry out the wet paper towel roll in the microwave. When the towels became browned they decided to discard the roll into the garage. The roll continued to stay hot and eventually ignited and spread to nearby combustibles. This is not a common cause but can happen in the right conditions. Using paper towels as food coverings while reheating in the microwaves is not the issue here, its the paper rolls that can cuase the problem. When the paper is tightly rolled up on a tub, it can retain heat and allow for ignition in the right conditions. Please be safe drying materials in microwaves, ovens and dryers. 

Attached Media Files: 20058_Grand_Teton_9__13__20.jpg
View more news releases from Bend Fire & Rescue .