Oregon Parks and Recreation Dept.
Emergency Messages as of 4:49 am, Fri. Aug. 1
No information currently posted; operating as usual.
Subscribe to receive FlashAlert messages from Oregon Parks and Recreation Dept.
Primary email address for a new account:

Emergency Alerts News Releases  


Manage my existing Subscription

News Releases
Linkville Pioneer Cemetery
Linkville Pioneer Cemetery
Linkville Pioneer Cemetery listed in the National Register of Historic Places (Photo) - 07/31/14
The Linkville Pioneer Cemetery was established at this location in 1885, after having been moved from downtown in order to establish what was later called the Ankeny Canal. The cemetery as it currently appears is a result of a 1931 renovation, when the citizens of Klamath Falls sought to improve the cemetery's appearance. The formal stone entries, wire fencing, and most of the trees seen at the cemetery today are part of this 1931 design. The history embodied in the markers in the cemetery include the range wars of the late 1800s and early 1900s in the Klamath Falls area; the incarceration of Japanese Americans during World War II at the Tule Lake Segregation Center, commemorated by several graves; and three graves of the victims of a Japanese balloon bomb, also associated with World War II. Today the cemetery still maintains its panoramic views of the city, despite the residential development that surrounds it.

Oregon's State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the site's nomination in their February 2014 meeting. It is one of twenty-two historic properties in Klamath Falls that are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. It is one of about 30 cemeteries in Oregon that are listed in the National Register.

More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on "National Register" at left of page).
2014-07/1303/76442/OR_Yamhill_County_99W_Drive_In_Theatre_WEB.jpg
2014-07/1303/76442/OR_Yamhill_County_99W_Drive_In_Theatre_WEB.jpg
99W Drive-In Theatre listed in the National Register of Historic Places (Photo) - 07/31/14
The 99W Drive-In Theatre was constructed in 1953 and opened July 31, 1953, showing "Sea Devils" with Rock Hudson and Yvonne DiCarlo and "Under the Sahara." It was constructed by Ted Francis and is now operated by a third-generation member of the Francis family, Brian Francis. The first drive-in theater was developed in New Jersey in 1933. After World War II the outdoor drive-in became increasingly popular, particularly for family entertainment, growing in numbers in Oregon from three in 1948 to 69 in 1959. In the 1970s the popularity of the drive-in declined with the rise of the multi-plex. To compete, the Francises built the Twin Cinemas on the grounds, which is still in operation today. Today, the 99W Drive-In is enjoying a resurgence in popularity. Its on-going operation is assured by the fact that it just won a new digital projector in the contest "Project Drive-In," one of ten in the country.

Oregon's State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the theater's nomination in their February 2014 meeting. It is one of eleven historic properties in Newberg that are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. It is one of three drive-in theaters remaining in the Oregon.

More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on "National Register" at left of page).
Clackamas County Fair designated an Oregon Heritage Tradition - 07/30/14
A 107-year-old fair that draws more than 130,000 visitors annually is the newest Oregon Heritage Tradition designated by the Oregon Heritage Commission.

The Clackamas County Fair is one of ten events that have been designated. The others include the Oregon State Fair, the Pendleton Round-Up, the Cannon Beach Sandcastle Contest and the Linn County Pioneer Picnic.

"The Heritage Commission wants to recognize those traditions that have helped define the state," said David Lewis, the commission's chair and historian for the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde. "They are distinguished events that are part of our heritage as Oregonians."

"The Clackamas County Fair is pleased to receive this designation from the commission," said executive director Laurie Bothwell. "It recognizes a century of work to showcase our history, traditions, agriculture, education and families."

The first fair took place in Gladstone Park and two years later in moved to Canby. The fair has taken place there since then, although during World War II it was curtailed and limited to a youth show. This year's fair will take place Aug. 12-17.

An Oregon Heritage Tradition must have been in continuous operation for more than 50 years, demonstrate a public profile and reputation that distinguishes it from more routine events, and add to the livability and identity of the state, said commission coordinator Kyle Jansson.

The Oregon Heritage Commission coordinates efforts to solve statewide heritage issues through grants, education, and advocacy, and also promotes heritage tourism efforts.

###
Attached Media Files: News release
Oregon Recreational Trails Advisory Council to meet in Gold Beach August 15 - 07/29/14
The Oregon Recreational Trails Advisory Council will meet at the Gold Beach City Hall Councilor's Chambers, 29592 Ellensburg Ave, Gold Beach, OR 97444 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM on August 15, 2014 followed by a field trip of trail projects in Curry County. The Council invites public comments.

The Oregon Recreational Trails Advisory Council (ORTAC) was established by the Legislature in 1971 to advise the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department and to promote non-motorized trail recreation and development in Oregon. The Council is made up of seven volunteer members appointed by the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Commission to represent the five Oregon congressional districts. The Council meets four times annually in different locations across the state.

For more information about the meeting or about ORTAC, contact Rocky Houston, State Trails Coordinator, at (503) 986-0750, or email rocky.houston@oregon.gov.
Crowd-sourced survey seeks African American historic sites - 07/28/14
A crowd-sourced project to identify Oregon's African American historic sites and places has uncovered locations in Pendleton, Hayesville, Salem, Westport, Portland and other communities. Project leaders are asking the public to continue submitting information about potential sites.

"These places can be buildings anywhere in Oregon where African Americans worked, sites where important events happened, or objects created, installed, or inspired by African Americans," said project manager Kim S. Moreland.

The Oregon Black Pioneers, in partnership with the State Historic Preservation Office, launched the property survey project "Preserving Oregon's African American Historic Places" in May. Working with community partners and volunteers, the organizations want to protect and preserve Oregon's African American historic sites and places from 1844 to 1984.

Preserving Oregon African American Historic Places project is a crowd-sourced project that encourages the public to contribute information online that pertains to existing structures with any African American association in their histories and cemeteries with African American burials.

The discoveries so far include black pioneer burials in the historic Hayesville, Salem Pioneer, Westport, and Lone Fir cemeteries are just a few of the data submissions we already received. Additional data has been submitted on two Pendleton structures: one is related to the 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion (the "Triple Nickles") and the other with George Fletcher, the Pendleton Round Up rodeo champion. Other recent documentation includes a 114-year-old wooden structure which served as the residence of suffrage and civic leader Kathryn Gray. Another building, commonly referred to as the Burger Barn, is associated with the infamous "possum Incident" in Portland.

The deadline for submissions is Nov. 28. You may submit your information online at www.makeoregonhistory.com or at www.oregonblackpioneers.org. Provide as much information as you can, but it is OK to leave blanks if you do not know the particular information requested. Go to www.makeoregonhistory.com to submit online. The information will be added to the collections of the Oregon Black Pioneers and the Oregon Historic Sites Database.

"Our ultimate goal is to create a multiple property document that identifies sites for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places," said Moreland.

If you have any questions about the survey project you may email Moreland at historic_places@qwestoffice.net or Kuri Gill, Oregon Heritage, Grants and Outreach Coordinator at Kuri.Gill@oregon.gov.
Attached Media Files: News release
Public comments period opens on proposed rule to restrict smoking on Oregon beaches - 07/25/14
News Release // Oregon Parks and Recreation Dept. // FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE // July 25, 2014

Media Contacts:
Richard Walkoski, Director's Office, Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, Desk: 503-986-0748, Cell: 503-510-9956
Chris Havel, Director's Office, Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, Desk: 503-986-0722, Cell: 503-931-2590

Salem OR - Proposed rules that would restrict smoking of tobacco products on the ocean shore recreation area will be open for public comment through August 29, 2014. Comments will be taken by email, and through a series of four public hearings in August.

Rules that restrict smoking on Oregon state park properties were approved in February by the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Commission. Education about the new rule is taking place through 2014, and enforcement will begin in 2015. Previous public comments related to the state park rule asked the department to undertake a similar effort on the ocean shore, which is adjacent to many state parks. Citing environmental issues as a primary concern--plastic cigarette butts can persist for years, even in the harsh beach environment--the commission approved a staff request to consider a smoking rule for the ocean shore.

After listening to public comment between now and August 29, the department plans to present information to the Commission on September 17 at its meeting near Silverton, and return November 19 with a final recommendation at the Astoria meeting.

Public comment will play a key role in the decision to create a rule. Comments can be sent to the department through regular mail (OPRD Beach Smoking, 725 Summer St NE, Suite C, Salem OR 97301), by e-mail (oprd.publiccomment@oregon.gov), or in person at one of four public hearings scheduled in August. All hearings begin at 7 p.m. at the locations listed below.

* 8/20/2014 - Seaside Public Library, 1131 Broadway, Seaside OR
* 8/21/2014 - Central Lincoln PUD, 2129 N Coast Highway, Newport OR
* 8/26/2014 - Coos Bay Public Library, 525 Anderson Ave, Coos Bay OR
* 8/28/2014 - North Mall Office Building, 725 Summer Street NE, Salem OR

# # #
Fish Lake Guard Station
Fish Lake Guard Station
Fish lake Guard Station listed in the National Register of Historic Places (Photo) - 07/15/14
Built by the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) for the Santiam National Forest (later Willamette National Forest) between 1906 and 1934, the centrally-located Fish Lake Guard Station provided fire crews and Forest staff with an administrative base and pack animal remount station from which to provide conservation management for the forest and fire protection. Later, the Fish Lake Guard Station served as an essential catalyst in managing designated wilderness areas near the Willamette National Forest after the passage of the Wilderness Act. Signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on September 3, 1964, the Wilderness Act mandated that the National Park Service, USFS, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service review all lands under their jurisdiction and designate appropriate tracts as National Wilderness areas to be protected in their natural condition. The station's rustic-style buildings are representative examples of USFS administrative architecture built by Forest employees and the CCC using USFS and CCC plans and rustic design, made with local, natural materials to blend with the surrounding landscape.

Oregon's State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the district's nomination in their June 2013 meeting. Over 900 properties in Linn County are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.

More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on "National Register" at left of page).
Historic Cemeteries Commission meeting, cemetery future conversation slated for July 25 - 07/10/14
The Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries will meet at 9 a.m. July 25 at the Hallmark Inn, 744 SW Elizabeth St., Newport. Agenda items will include grant reports, current projects and upcoming plans. The commission will invite public comments.

On the same day at 1 p.m. the Commission invites you to join it and the Oregon Mortuary and Cemetery Board (OMCB) for a community planning session on an important topic: The Future of Cemeteries in Oregon.

Both boards have noticed a trend of the increasing difficulty of getting new volunteers to continue non-profit and rural cemeteries--whether a non-operating historic cemetery, or a small operating one. With the high cremation rates in the Northwest, even for-profit operating cemeteries are concerned about increasing operating costs for ongoing maintenance without the same level of new burials and revenue coming in as before.

"We want to compare notes on these trends and any others identified by the community," said Kuri Gill, coordinator of the Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries. "We will also discuss the role--if any--the public sector should have in addressing these trends, or, simply in helping if and when a particular cemetery becomes abandoned."

If you want to attend the planning session, phone or email Carla Knapp as soon as possible. She can be contacted at 971.673.1507 or Carla.Knapp@state.or.us. The OMCB will hold its regular meeting beginning at 1 p.m. July 24 in Newport.

State law established the seven-member Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries to maintain a listing of all historic cemeteries and gravesites in Oregon; promote public education on the significance of historic cemeteries; and obtain financial and technical assistance for restoring, improving and maintaining their appearances. More information about commission activities, the meeting and the planning session may be obtained from Gill at 503-986-0685 or by e-mail: Kuri.Gill@oregon.gov .

###
Attached Media Files: News release
Oregon State Parks and Recreation Commission to meet by phone July 21, 2014 in Salem - 07/08/14
News Release // Oregon Parks and Recreation Dept. // FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE // July 8, 2014

Media Contact: Chris Havel, Director's Office, Oregon Parks and Recreation Department
Desk: 503-986-0722 // Cell: 503-931-2590

Salem OR - Salem OR - The Oregon State Parks and Recreation Commission will hold a special meeting by phone on July 21, 2014 at 11:30 a.m. The public venue for the meeting is the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department headquarters office at 725 Summer St NE, Suite C, Salem OR 97301.

The Commission is meeting to act on recommendations to award community recreation grants funded by Oregon Lottery and federal funding sources. The full meeting agenda is available online at http://tinyurl.com/9vy72bo .

Those needing special accommodations to attend should contact OPRD at 503-986-0719 to make arrangements at least three days in advance.

The Oregon State Parks and Recreation Commission promotes outdoor recreation and heritage by establishing policies, adopting rules, and setting the budget for the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The seven members are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Oregon Senate. They serve four-year terms and meet several times a year at locations across the state. Additional information, including minutes from previous Commission meetings, is available online at http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/pages/commission.aspx.

# # #
Historic cemetery and marker repair workshop to be in Toledo - 07/07/14
The Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries will offer a historic cemetery and marker repair workshop July 26 in Toledo. All of the events are free and open to the public.

The workshop will be at the Toledo Cemetery near the intersection of Skyline Drive and Arcadia Drive from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The free workshop will address marker assessment, cleaning, leveling and repair.

Participants should bring their lunch, snacks, water to drink, a stool or folding chair to sit on, gloves to wear, a hat, sunscreen, appropriate clothing as this is a hands on workshop, comfortable shoes, a pen and note pad and camera if they want to take photos during the workshop.

In conjunction with the workshop, the Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries will also meet in Newport on July 25.

State law established the seven-member commission to maintain a listing of all historic cemeteries and gravesites in Oregon; promote public education on the significance of historic cemeteries; and help obtain financial and technical assistance for restoring, improving and maintaining their appearances. To learn about the workshop or to get more information on historic cemeteries visit www.oregonheritage.org or contact Kuri Gill at Kuri.Gill@oregon.gov or 503-986-0685.

###